Posted in 犬猫の命 / Life of Dogs & Cats

犬猫を救うためにできる4つのこと / Three Things That Save Dogs & Cats

English Version

最近猫ブームで、猫が高額で売られてるよね。でも、飼い主を必要としている猫はたくさんいるから、猫が欲しい人はペットショップで買わずに、里親になることを考えてみてほしい。

1週間ほど前に目に留まった、友人のフェイスブックの投稿。なぜか気になって一日中考えてしまった。

その「飼い主を必要としている猫」は一体どれくらいいるのだろうか?犬の場合はどうだろか?

恐る恐る調べてみると、信じられない数字が出てきた。

現在日本では、毎日約850匹の犬猫が殺されている。毎年30万匹以上の命が消えているのだ。

内閣府特定 NPO法人 ConoasS

アメリカでは、その数はなんと6600匹に及ぶ。アメリカでは保護犬を飼っている人がとても多く、毎年400万匹の犬猫が里親のもとに引き取られる。それなのに、毎日6600匹の犬猫が殺されているという事実には驚く。

The Humane Society of The United States

話を日本に戻して考えてみたい。今日も850匹ほどの犬猫が命を落としたことになるが、そういわれてもピンとこないのでイメージを作成してみた。850匹の犬猫たち↓

dogs and cats

これらの犬猫は、あなたのペットと同じように性格があり、気もちがある。生きるために生まれてきたのに、人間の勝手で殺されているのだ。

かわいそうな話だけど、この問題は解決できない…。もしあなたがそう思っているとしたら、考え直してほしい。

ドイツでは、処分される犬・猫の数は「0」。

ドイツでは動物保護法で動物の殺処分は禁じられている。保護された犬猫はティアハイムと呼ばれる保護施設に収容され、90%が里親のもとへ引き取られる。残りの10%は施設で生涯を過ごすことができる。ペットショップでの犬猫の展示は’禁止されていて、ペットを飼いたいならばティアハイムに行くのが常識だ。

いのちの学校 いぬねこ係

つまり、ペット問題は人間が作り出したものであり、人間の力で変えることができるということだ。

では、具体的に何ができるだろうか?

1.犬猫の里親になる

もし、ペットを飼おうと思っているのなら、ペットショップで買わずに里親になることを考えてほしい。

里親募集案内まとめ【犬】」 「猫の里親募集

2.保健所にもっていかない

飼えなくなったからといって、安易に保健所に連れて行かない。保健所に連れて行かれた動物の8割は処分される。

3.動物保護団体を支援する

国内にはペット問題に取り組むさまざまな団体がある。そのような団体でボランティアしたり、寄付したりして支援しよう。犬を保護して、災害救助犬やセラピー犬として訓練している団体、「ピースワンコ・ジャパン」は、ネットで募金も可能だ。

4.犬猫処分の現状を多くの人に知ってもらう

今日知ったことを、あなたの中だけで留めておかずに、家族や友人に共有してほしい。

国の偉大さと道徳的発展は、その国における動物の扱い方で判る。~マハトマ・ガンジー


Three Things That Save Dogs & Cats

“The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” – Mahatma Gandhi

You’ve probably heard this quote before.  But you may not know how your country actually treats its animals.

Recently, I was shocked to learn that in Japan nearly 850 dogs and cats are killed in shelters each day. In the U.S. the number is 6600! That’s right. About 6600 adoptable dogs and cats are killed daily in the U.S., according to The Humane Society.

These numbers are so shocking and it’s hard to imagine, so I’ve made an image. These are 850 dogs and cats, about the number of dogs and cats killed in Japan today alone.  Take a look.

dogs and cats

These dogs and cats are just like your pets – ones with personalities and feelings. They want love, attention, and a home.

If you think this problem can’t be solved, think again.

In Germany no dog or cat is killed in shelters. I mean ZERO.

How do they do this?

Under German law euthanasia of animals is restricted to medical reasons only.  Pet stores are not allowed to sell animals. As a result there is a high adoption rate. 90% of dogs and cats in shelters are adopted, and the remaining 10% spend the rest of their lives there.

So this is a man made problem, and we can fix it if we really want to.  Where can we start?

  1.  Adopt a pet  -If you’re thinking about getting a pet, consider adopting one instead of buying one from a pet store.
  2.  Support a shelter – Support a local shelter by volunteering and/or donating.
  3.  Share this info with your friends and family – People are more likely to make right decisions when given the right information.

Lastly, I’d like to share a video with you. It’s in Japanese, but I think you’ll be able to follow the story.

When Haru was a puppy, her family liked her, but as she grew older she was tied outside. One day she was taken for a walk. She was happy about this, because it had been a long time since she last went for a walk. But she was taken to a strange, unfamiliar place. She cried for days, waiting for her family to come pick her up, but they never did.

Advertisements